For the love of Coffee & Caffeine
Our team, along with most of the cycling community share a love for coffee. In this article we explore some of the benefits and rituals of that morning cup o joe.
- Perennial cyclocross champion Jeremy Powers learned how to make good coffee no matter what course he is on. "As a cyclist you very much live out of bag for a very long time. One of the things I find funny is that each guy has a (coffee) ritual."
- Group rides across the country every weekend meet around coffee shops. So much so that a simple google search of "cycling friendly cafes near me" or https://www.bikefriendlycafes.com can help you find both a great cup of coffee and possibly a hub for local cyclists.
- The benefits of coffee are becoming so well established that, for the first time, a government advisory committee included a mention of caffeine in its recommendations for the 2015 edition of Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The report said Americans could safely consume up to five cups of coffee a day, or approximately 400 milligrams (mg) of caffeine, with no detrimental effects.
- The recommendation was based on an evaluation of multiple meta-analyses and other studies evaluating the link between coffee and chronic diseases, including cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s. While a causal link is not always found, meaning it could simply be that coffee drinkers tend to follow a healthier overall lifestyle contributing to lower risks. However, the antioxidants and other beneficial plant compounds in coffee have been linked to a lower chronic disease risk before. Here's a solid summary of many white papers with data points.
- Check out our nutrition partner Science in Sports explanation of caffeine and benefits for cyclists http://www.scienceinsport.com/us/our-expertise/importance-of-caffeine/
- According to the Food Standards Agency there are approximately 100mg of caffeine in your standard cup of brewed coffee, and 400mg a day is a perfectly safe amount to ingest.
Cycling supporting coffee roasters - Feel free to add/share your favorites in the comments!